Reinforcing our Commitment
Besides our direct outreach activities, we support our fellow LGBTQIA+ organizations in the community through donations, volunteering, and participating in community events to strengthen our community as a whole. United, we rise!
OUTREACH & ADVOCACY
In The Community
Our outreach efforts include the development of community based programs and services in line with the Tucson Pride Mission & Vision. Some of those initiatives under our 2019 Strategic Plan include:
- Hosting a financial health conference for the LGBTQIA+ community.
- Community resources and education workshops on topics such as mental health, foster care and adoption, as well as life skills for both children and adults.
- Establishing a scholarship for LGBTQ youth entering college.
- Developing and implementing a community survey to gather demographic information on the LGBTQ community in Tucson and Southern Arizona.
- Workshop for businesses to educate on the benefits of supporting the LGBTQ market.
Tucson Lesbian and Gay Alliance, commonly known as Tucson Pride is an all-volunteer administered and operated nonprofit that produces and promotes cultural, educational, and recreational events for the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community in Tucson, Arizona and beyond. Tucson Pride was founded in 1977 making it Arizona’s first and longest established LGBTQ Organization. Each year, Tucson Pride hosts the Annual Pride in the Desert festivities, including a well attended Pride Parade and the Pride in the Park Festival.
While most Pride events in the US commemorate the Stonewall Riots in New York, Tucson has its own reasons beyond that of other cities. The Tucson Pride history began with a different tragedy; the brutal murder of Richard Heakin, a young gay man leaving the Stonewall Tavern here in Tucson one evening in 1976. When his attackers were given a slap on the wrist, our community rose UNITED to rally for change, officially forming the organization now known as Tucson Pride. Their efforts led to some of the first LGBT anti-discrimination legislation in the country.